Wednesday December 6, 2023 at 6:30PM
The Modulation Club returns with a special live coding session featuring composer, live coder and sound artist, Alejandro Franco-Briones
Live Coding Performance by Alejandro Franco-Briones
Live coding is the practice of writing code as a performative act, often the output of this coding act takes the form of music, audio explorations, sound art, visuals, choreography, or story telling. In this workshop we are going to explore coding as musical performance using Estuary , a networked software that makes it possible for new practitioners to start making music in a zero-installation environment that favours collaboration.
Content of this workshop
● Live coding: A brief context. An introduction to live coding’s vibrant art scene, community and practice (15 minutes).
● Introduction to the Estuary. The participants will get familiarised with Estuary as a platform for collaborative, networked live coding (15 minutes).
● TidalCycles syntax explorations. Introduction to the syntax of TidalCycles in the network (45 minutes).
● Synthesis in Punctual. The participant will learn basic synthesis and reactive visuals in the Punctual language (15 minutes).
● Jam session. We will end the workshop with a jam session, where participants will be able to code in a networked ensemble (30 minutes).
At the end of the workshop, participants will be able to:
● Navigate Estuary’s settings to create ensembles and collaborate online with other performers or perform solo acts.
● Understand basic Tidal syntax for music creation.
● Understand basic Punctual syntax for synthesis and visual creation.
● Be in touch with the broader live coding community.
Registration is required. Space is limited - register today!
Laptops and headphones will be available, but participants are welcome to bring their own.
This event is fully booked. You're welcome to join the waiting list to be notified if space becomes available.